How to create an inviting home for your holiday guests
(NC)—There's no turning back now. With overnight guests confirmed, it's time to showcase how good your home can look for the holiday season with some simple décor solutions. Frank Turco, senior manager of trend and design at The Home Depot Canada shows the do-it-yourself host and hostess how easy it can be to update the look of your home with this season's most popular décor trends:
• Paint – Freshen up the guest room with a new coat of paint. Neutral colours, including browns and beiges, add a simple sophistication to any home décor. Try the new line of Martha Stewart Living paints available at The Home Depot.
• Lighting – Introduce some elegance to a formal dining area with a trendy chrome and glass chandelier. It can also add a touch of glamour to a bedroom or powder room. For added architectural interest, install a ceiling medallion.
• Flooring – If new flooring isn't in your budget this year, invest in a decorative area rug or two for an updated look and extra comfort. Tribal patterns or global influences are popular for 2010.
• Holiday Décor – With so many options to dress up your front door and entrance, choose your holiday colour scheme and mix string LEDs with natural wreaths and garland to create a festive welcome.
• Ambience – Last, but not least, add some warmth to a comfortable sitting area with a traditional 5,000 BTU electric stove in black metal. Top the coffee or end tables with candles in various sizes and colours to complement the room's décor.